Saturday, February 17, 2007
Tree-Nation is a project aiming to get 8 million trees planted in the shape of a heart in the Sahara
Tree-Nation is a project aiming to get 8 million trees planted in the shape of a heart in the Sahara - yes you heard that right. This sounds like a colossal process, but is inherently feasible… via the web of course. You can join and buy a tree for as little as 10 Euros. By planting your tree, you can help combat desertification and regenerate the productivity of the land. This in turn will have a major impact on the livelihoods of the poor in the region.
Positive effects on the environment
- Helping the soil to re-regenerate itself
- Creating a root system which allows the water to surface
- Increasing land's productivity
- Encouraging agricultural forestry
- Off-setting CO2 levels
- Counteract the Global Warming
- Counteract Deforestation
Positive effects on the local communities
- Fighting poverty, 'desertification is potentially the most threatening climate change impacting livelihoods of the poor...combating desertification can therefore contribute significantly to a reduction in global poverty.' www.unccd.int 12/07/2006 - UNCCD
- Fruits, medicine, alimentation and gum production for local communities
- Alimentation for animals
- Park as a meeting point and shelter
- Encouraging more education and efficient farming practices in local communities
- Centre for agro-forestry research and development
How does it work?
the trees will be planted in local nurseries for the initial period until they reach a suitable point of growth to be planted in the park. This varies depending on the type of tree that you choose.
your tree will be planted in the park location that you have virtually selected where it will receive continual care and maintenance.
our local experts will nurture the tree (providing water and nutrients but no chemical fertilizers) on a regular basis using agro-forestry techniques in order to maintain its condition.
our local experts will manage the harvesting of the fruits and medicines that the tree provides.
your tree grows happily and the local community benefit from its produce (gum, fruits, alimentation, medicines, etc)
finally, a hug a day and the tree will grow! You will be able to follow its progress through photos and through the hi-tech facilities on our website.